Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Elder Speaks Red Crow Video



I reviewed the video created of Floyd Red Crow Westerman http://youtu.be/g7cylfQtkDg.  This video, spoken from the voice of an elder (Mr. Westerman), is conveying the perspective of the Native Peoples of North America.  He speaks about the ability his people had to foresee the “coming and going” of America (0:35).  The stages of development that have to be experienced are a purifying and then a renewal stage, he says that renewal is near(0:15).   I have not taken the opportunity to study the Native People of North America but with some of the stereotypes that are portrayed in the media I have always considered them very spiritual people although not religious.  But, when I see this video it makes me wonder how it never crossed my mind that these native people could have foreseen what was to come. 

I am very spiritual and believe in the gift of prophecy so it was refreshing to see a video like this included in the course curriculum.  I think this was included because it addresses some of the stereotypes of associated with Native Americans in the spiritual sense but also it magnifies their belief of living from and protecting the earth in a time where we are openly stripping the earth of Her gifts and resources for monetary gain.  (Queue Micheal Jackson “Earth Song” http://youtu.be/XAi3VTSdTxU also see live performance http://youtu.be/buCdGwH2Efc

Mr Westerman also describes our connection to the earth by saying that over 95% of our body is water and how we rely on “good” water to stay healthy (4:11).  He describes the natural water sources as healthy before the invasion of the Europeans and how those sources subsequently became contaminated after their arrival.  He also speaks about our human connection to trees by shared DNA (4:35).  Trees and humans/animals breath in and expel opposite gases therefore providing an even exchange with one another.

The inclusion of this source was a gift and it does a great job of expressing the Native American beliefs that everything on Earth is connected and has a spirit and should be treated as such.  This was a great piece for me to encounter because I share those same beliefs from my exposure to other metaphysical teachings so it does not alter my view of the Native People but further confirms what I believed about them.  They are wise and connected people and not bloodthirsty savages as the Europeans try to portray them as.

Earlier in the post I mentioned Michael Jackson “Earth Song”.  This song comes to mind as I cover the material in this module.  This song was released in 1995 and it was a very memorable song for me.  It was then, at the age of 10, that I realized I had compassion for the earth and could recognize what was being done to disrespect it and the creatures on it.  I apologize if this takes me off-topic, but in this informal setting I thought it would be appropriate to intertwine some of the things the readings bring to mind.


  1. (Part 1) Indigenous Native American Prophecy (Elders Speak part 1) http://youtu.be/g7cylfQtkDg 

4 comments:

  1. The most interesting thing about this course, so far, is reading about the prophecies of the Native American elders. Speaking just for myself, when I read them, and consider the emotions behind them, it makes me feel bad that the natives knew these bad things were going to happen, and they knew that their livelihoods and their cultures were in danger of extinction. They believed that the Great Spirit would guild them but they had no faith that the white man would listen to the Great Spirit and come in peace. Their narratives portrayed a sense of disappointment in the Europeans neglect of the Great Spirit which they believed would guide the white man down the wrong path where greed would take over. The amazing thing, though, is that many of these prophecies came true when the Europeans came in and took what they wanted with a complete disregard for life and nature. It just makes me wonder who the more civilized societies were, the Europeans who murdered for material gain, or the Natives who fought for survival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the discussion topics- it sounds as if many of the students found the video source very informative and also helpful in confirmed the strong connection that many native feel to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly found the videos inspiring and breathtaking. The background locations and the Native Americans that were speaking were mesmerizing. I also knew that the American Indians were spiritual and believe that the earth itself had many spirits. But the prophecies that have come true make me think of modern day fortune tellers or mediums. The 6th sense that some people have today seems to be a natural occurrence for the Native American.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed watching these videos. I was amazed to see how much of what was prophesied by Indians is true. The Native believe is at one with nature. They understood that the earth did not revolve around humans. Humans are put on the earth by the creator and have everything we need. Thus, we must only use what we need to. Rather, the Europeans were selfish, greedy, and never thought of real consequences for destroying the earth. To me it seems so obvious to respect the land as a gift. To be grateful and take care of it. Without the land and all its resources we would not exist. I hope more people become environmentally conscience before it is too late. It is just a shame the Native people were disregarded so much. They are very wise and the Europeans should have listened to them.

    ReplyDelete