Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Native American Authors


Native American Authors
Ojibwe (Anishinaabemowin) Texts
Image from the Clements Library(1)






As I read through the link titled Native American Authors (http://www.ipl.org/div/natam/), I was very surprised with the number of Native American authors both women and men on the list. There were hundreds of books to their credit. I tried to think if I had read any books about Native Americans prior to this course. I then remembered a book/movie that my two children loved when they were in grade school.


"The Indian in the Cupboard" by Lynne Reid Banks. It is the first in "The Indian in the Cupboard" series and is published by Doubleday and Company, a division of Random House. I now wondered what I would think about this book or movie since I have learned Cultural Appropriation. There are certainly many derogatory descriptions and stereotypes with reference to the Indian, Little Bear. There is a cowboy that wants to kill Little Bear. Little Bear wants to scalp the cowboy. Little Bear grunts in two word sentences. His attire is not correct. But there are so many lessons that a child can learn from this story: responsibility, loyalty, friendship, pain, love and death.




I then thought about the actor that played the Native American Little Bear. His name is Litefoot. He is  Cherokee. To make his character more accurate, Litefoot shaved his head, except for a small circle on top, from which hung a long braid. He wore specially made lobes to elongate his ears, as if heavy rings had created quarter-size openings. He also endured hours of makeup tests to get the authentic tattoos on the sides of his head and upper arms. Litefoot was proud of his native American heritage and wanted his character to be historically authentic. Ask him what his goal is today, and he answers thoughtfully, "To listen to the Creator. He has led me to motivate children with music and words."(2)

                                     





I read an interesting critic of the novel. Naomi Caldwell-Wood, President, of the American Indian Library Association, writes, 
                              
                 "The Indian in the Cupboard and its sequels are much- loved books by librarians and their patrons.           But for Indian people, these are some of the worst perpetrators of the most base stereotypes. The miniature  toy Indian (Indians portrayed as objects or things) is described as an Iroquois warrior, but is dressed as a movie western version of a generic plains Indian "chief", complete with eagle feather headdress. The warrior is described in the most stereotypical terms and speaks in subhuman grunts and partial sentences. He is manipulated by a more powerful white child, fostering the image of the simple and naive Indian whose contact with the white man can only benefit him and his people.For example, The Indian in the Cupboard and its sequels are much- loved books by librarians and their patrons. But for Indian people, these are some of the worst perpetrators of the most base stereotypes. The miniature toy Indian (Indians portrayed as objects or things) is described as an Iroquois warrior, but is dressed as a movie western version of a generic plains Indian "chief", complete with eagle feather headdress. The warrior is described in the most stereotypical terms and speaks in subhuman grunts and partial sentences. He is manipulated by a more powerful white child, fostering the image of the simple and naive Indian whose contact with the white man can only benefit him and his people."(3) 


Being aware of Cultural Appropriation has certainly opened my eyes to the feelings of Native American Peoples.

 







2. http://www.csmonitor.com/1995/0821/21151.html
3. http://www.nativeculturelinks.com/ailabib.htm 


5 comments:

  1. I never read any of the Indian in the Cupboard books and have actually never seen the show. But I would have to agree that Cultural Appropriation has made me also more aware.
    I also did not realize there were so many authors either and some really good ones. I just finished reading Power by Linda Hogan, a Chickasaw poet, novelist, and essayist, for another course and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sadly have not read Indian in the Cupboard either. I am impressed by the authenticity of the actor who played Litefoot! Great discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the biggest problems that Native Americans face today is the stereotype that is placed on them by non-natives. These images and depictions are often offensive and show more of an aggressive nature, which in reality, goes against the peaceful existence of many tribes. The Native American culture, from what I’ve learned so far in this course, is one of peace and spirituality, which we should all practice. I tend to think that if we all lived by this type of culture the world would be a much better place. If we could learn to accept others, without judgment, and learn to share the gifts of the Great Spirit, which include water, land, air, nature, and life, then we would all be much better off. If we learned to be grateful for what we have, instead of constantly wanting more, we would be able to appreciate the truly important gifts that are given to us, like love, family, and life itself. We take too much for granted and we never stop to give thanks for all that we have. The more I read about Native American culture, especially the Hopi Nation, the more I respect their spiritual view on life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that one very important aspect of this course on Native Peoples of North America is that I have become very aware concerning the source of the information I am receiving. I want to know who wrote it, who published it, or who produced it, for example, and for what purpose they did so. I also want to know many perspectives concerning any topic, because, as I have seen, there is never just 'a simple truth', but rather a truth (or perhaps falsehood) amongst many within any given situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that we could certainly question all information given for any/every course taken online. But newspapers, textbooks, websites all only as good as the writer or publisher. My FAVORITE thing about ESC and this online education that I have been working so hard at for the past 4 years, is the primary source or"1st person accounts". They make history come alive and feel real to me, more than just old history.

    ReplyDelete