Saturday, August 30, 2014

Wilma Mankiller


Wilma Mankiller

The one thing that really attracts me to Wilma Mankiller is her positive outlook on life.  To me it seems that keeping this kind of positive outlook helps to keep a healthy mind and soul.  During the video she speak optimistically of the future of the Native American people holding on to their culture in years to come.  She points out all that they have been through over the years since the white man had come to North America in particular loss of land, water, lives, and forced assimilation.  She states that even after going through all of that they are still her today and how strong their bond is as a group and their desire to stay together and hold on to what they know.  Her speech is so encouraging because as she points out all that they have gone through and encourages others to look to the future in an optimistic manor.  She even quotes her favorite Mohawk proverb and states “It’s hard to see the future with tears your eyes” and she states that she adds “or with anger in your heart.”  She stresses the importance of thinking and looking towards the future in this was and teaching the children the same to that the future will also be bright for them.  She does mention that this type of thought process does not come easy and that it takes discipline.  I remember as a young girl in elementary school our teacher showing my class a picture of a glass with a half glass of water.  She asked us do we see the glass half full or half empty.  Everyone had their opinion, but mine was half empty.  She told us that those of us who saw it half full were optimistic and those who saw it half full were pessimistic.  I never forgot that.  Even today when I look at the glass I see it half empty but only in the picture.  My thoughts and actions in life are positive in nature but it does not come easy.  It does take much discipline and reminding on my part.  To hear Wilma talk about the same is so empowering and whenever I start to see that glass half empty I will try to think of her.

References:
Wilma Mankiller Video retrieved from:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVLgwpHSYv0.
Image:  www.colorado.edu
            

1 comment:

  1. Word can't express how much feeling I have after watching this video. She knew how to take an issue and talk about it like she was a part of it. I'm a sensory person so listen to her voice instead of reading what she says had more an impact on me. There's something in her voice that tell you that she was is and will always be a woman who gave her knowledge freely.

    ReplyDelete